Friday, June 13, 2008

A Garden for Paul Revere

Margie has the brilliant idea of starting a garden at Paul Revere, and I think that's a great idea. I don't have much of a green thumb, but my mother does, and she's all for the project. That's not to say that I can't garden, I'm just not as good as she is. And hey, the more the merrier.

We have a lead on maybe getting some fruit trees planted if we wanted them (as a donation). That might be really cool, to have a little orchard or something. Maybe we could put them around the perimeter of the playgrounds. Argonne has trees around the playground, and the kids totally love them, and will play in the shade. I think its a grand idea.

14 comments:

margie said...

Fruit trees? I like how you think, Joy! Can't wait for that playdate. We're back in town and free on the 29th. Hope everyone's enjoying this awesome weather!

Joy said...

I can do the 29th. Just not too early... I can never seem to motivate for "early."... I have no idea how we're going to make it to Revere for that 8 am start... UGH.

margie said...

I'm with you on the start time issue. Despite the fact that we can walk to the school in five minutes from our house, 8 am is just not our style! I also have concerns about the seven hour day. 9-3 would be a much better fit for this family!

Oh well, lots to talk about on the 29th! You name the time; Holly Park is also two blocks from our house. Michelle, can you make it?

Anonymous said...

We can make the 29th too. What time at Holly Park?
Michelle

Joy said...

Two-ish? Or is that too late?

margie said...

I'm down w/ 2ish.

Joy said...

OK, we're rockin' on with the 2-ish. Yay! I'm excited!

Anonymous said...

So sorry but I have to be at work at 2p so that latest I could meet on a sunday would be 11am. I can meet saturdays anytime. If it doesn't work out with the other schedules we'll see you in september.
Best,
Michelle

Joy said...

Michelle,

I'm sure I can work out a Saturday meeting before September. I just can't do it this Saturday. We'll definitely keep in touch.

margie said...

I just got back to sf and want to say that 11:00 is fine for me tomorrow if y'all want to change it.

Joy said...

I don''t know if I can make 11. We had an 11 birthday party today, and we all slept in till like 10 and getting out of the house was hell.

But... if tomorrow isn't good, we can just do it another week... maybe next Saturday, July 5? Or maybe the weekend after that?

Unknown said...

hi, i think this is awesome. i live a few houses down from paul revere and know margie from oscar's old preschool. not sure if it's what you're looking for, but we have about 5 succulents all about 2 ft tall that we are removing from our garden. let me know if you want them. i think they're 'money tree' succulents...well that's what my mum called them :)
email me if you're interested:
karen@hopbot.com

thanks!
ps. any chance of changing that starting time? :)
karen

jcvpve said...

Wonderful! Not much of a green thumb either - but does enthusiasm compensate?
Furthermore, I noticed Alvarado just completed some garden work in their play yard. Let me go check to see if I can find out how they did that, do's and don't etc.
How do we get contact info for more parents?

Looking forward to make concrete plans on the upcoming BBQ - and on the play date the weekend after?

margie said...

I'm excited about the gardening committee! Anyone remember the name of the person heading it last year? We should get in touch w/ them. It seems like there was more of a focus on the upper-grade side (which makes sense). Starting gardens on the annex side will require some labor as well as planning. Maybe we can put out some sign-ups on Back To School Night as well as something in the newsletter?

Apart from gardening, I would like to know how many people would be interested in getting fresh fruit and vegetable snacks for all the kinder classrooms. I'm not sure how to go about this, but I'd love to talk with other interested parents.

One last thing, I can volunteer at the school on Mondays and Fridays. I would like to talk to other parents who plan on volunteering on consistent days (especially on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays).

See you all on Tuesday!