Sunday, September 7, 2008

Fresh Fruits and Veggie snacks in the Kinder classrooms

Margie has another great idea: to see healthier snacks in the Kindergarten classrooms. These kids need their energy! And I don't know about your kids, but mine will come home with more of his lunch left then I expected... and then he tells me he's "starving all the time."

Thoughts and/or ideas? Post them here.

3 comments:

Joy said...

I'm posting this on behalf of Margie...


After speaking with several other K parents on Back To School Night, I found that there is interest in providing healthy snacks. However, it would probably be better to start with interested parents getting together to provide snack maybe twice a week for their child's individual classrooms. That would just entail communicating with K teachers and other parents in our children's classrooms.

Eventually I'd like to do some fund-raising to get healthy snacks into all K rooms at least twice a week. This would most likely mean searching for funds outside of the school. I'm sure some of you have fantastic ideas for this. The idea I'm bouncing around at the moment is to ask Good Life for a donation of a gift certificate, maybe $100.00, that we could then sell raffle tickets for in the greater Bernal community. I'm imagining selling tickets in front of the store with a sign that would say something about helping support healthy snacks in PR kinder classrooms with the mention (in smaller print) that the school is 80% free and reduced lunch. Maybe 5 bucks for one ticket and 10 bucks for three?

I admit to not knowing the legalities of fund raising or raffles. I'm not sure if Good Life would do this. I guess the first steps would be to talk to the PTA prez as well as K teachers about the idea and then make a committee so other parents who are interested can get involved. If this happens and we have the green light, maybe several parents who live in Bernal and shop at Good Life could approach the store together.

These are just some ideas. I'd love to get together with others and discuss all the possibilities.

margie

Anonymous said...

Hi all.
I'm Calista's mom in Robin's class.
I said I would do one day in the other post, but initially I can do 2 days in Robin's class if needed. I can print calenders for each class so parents can sign up (assuming the teachers are ok with this). I think the fundraising is a great idea. Possibly the PTA has some ideas or a budget?
Great idea to bring up to the PTA and until then maybe we can coordinate a "loose" plan/schedule and refine the approach later? I just think that starting the day with a fruits and vegetables is so important.
Michelle

Anonymous said...

I put up a calender to sign up for bringing fresh fruit and snacks. I asked Robin to translate. I added that if carbs are brought to please make them "gluton" free. If there are any other allergies in the class we can amend the list. I only put the calender up in Robin's class as I felt uncomfortable approaching the other two classrooms as I don't know the teachers etc. My calender was just printed from outlook and I typed a short explanation and food suggestions at the top. Maybe a parent representative from each of the other classrooms can do the same.
Michelle