I'm excited about the gardening committee! Anyone remember the name of the person heading it last year? We should get in touch w/ them. It seems like there was more of a focus on the upper-grade side (which makes sense). Starting gardens on the annex side will require some labor as well as planning. Maybe we can put out some sign-ups on Back To School Night as well as something in the newsletter?
Apart from gardening, I would like to know how many people would be interested in getting fresh fruit and vegetable snacks for all the kinder classrooms. I'm not sure how to go about this, but I'd love to talk with other interested parents.
One last thing, I can volunteer at the school on Mondays and Fridays. I would like to talk to other parents who plan on volunteering on consistent days (especially on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays).
Hi all, I am calista's mom in Robin's class. I am interested in both the gardening committee and the healthy snacks. I am not a gardener, but know some gardeners and am not afraid of hard work. Do you think we should bring this up at the first PTA meeting and see if anyone else wants to join us in the planning and get Dr. T involved? It would be interesting to tour other schools, such as Roof Top, who have successful programs and see how we can incorporate into the available Paul Revere space. I think there are several phases...1) research 2)drawings 3) how to incorporate into a lesson plan 4) get funding 5) implement the plan.
The fresh fruit/vegie snacks is something I see being able to implement soon. I would be willing to provide snacks every friday or until there is enough parent participation to spread it out a little. I was walking through Good Life with Calista after school today and she asked me to buy the "gluton free organic" cereal because she said she had it in her class and it was "her favorite". So I ended up buying two boxes, some apples and a bag of baby carrots. I'll see if Robin is OK with me bringing snacks tomorrow, Friday. I am willing to print a calender so parents can sign up and suggestions on snacks. Fruits and Veggies are probably the best and least likely for the children to be alergic to. What do you think? If this sounds good, I'll print a sign up calender for all three kinders with the suggestion that the snack be fruits and vegetables. Michelle Long
I brought red/green apples, bananas and carrots and the kids were so happy and gobbled it all up. Nobody seemed disappointed that it was healthy snacks. Robin gave me the go ahead to put up a calender and I asked her to write an explanation in Spanish. I emphasized that in no way did I want anyone to feel obligated or feel bad for not participating for obvious reasons. So Monday I'll bring in the October calender. I'll sign up for Fridays and see what the response is in October. michelle
Hi there, I am a concerned neighbor who has been picking up trash along Banks Street and would actually love to help with gardening around the school. I'll bet a number of neighbors would be happy to help as well. Please let me know if you plan any gardening events or need equipment and I'd be happy to help. I have contact info for a few neighbors so could spread the word as well! Also, Parents, anything you can do to help teach children not to litter would be so helpful -- there are always wrappers and juiceboxes, etc that below into the bushes, streets, and ultimately my backyard and it is very frustrating! I didn't realize how bad it was - I was able to keep it tame myself during the summer - but when school started again I realized it was definitely the increased traffic from students, parents, and teachers that contributed to all the trash! Thanks so much. Michele Cardinal 411 Banks St. michele.cardinal@gmail.com 415-215-4176
5 comments:
I'm excited about the gardening committee! Anyone remember the name of the person heading it last year? We should get in touch w/ them. It seems like there was more of a focus on the upper-grade side (which makes sense). Starting gardens on the annex side will require some labor as well as planning. Maybe we can put out some sign-ups on Back To School Night as well as something in the newsletter?
Apart from gardening, I would like to know how many people would be interested in getting fresh fruit and vegetable snacks for all the kinder classrooms. I'm not sure how to go about this, but I'd love to talk with other interested parents.
One last thing, I can volunteer at the school on Mondays and Fridays. I would like to talk to other parents who plan on volunteering on consistent days (especially on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays).
See you all on Tuesday!
Hi all,
I am calista's mom in Robin's class.
I am interested in both the gardening committee and the healthy snacks.
I am not a gardener, but know some gardeners and am not afraid of hard work. Do you think we should bring this up at the first PTA meeting and see if anyone else wants to join us in the planning and get Dr. T involved? It would be interesting to tour other schools, such as Roof Top, who have successful programs and see how we can incorporate into the available Paul Revere space. I think there are several phases...1) research 2)drawings 3) how to incorporate into a lesson plan 4) get funding 5) implement the plan.
The fresh fruit/vegie snacks is something I see being able to implement soon. I would be willing to provide snacks every friday or until there is enough parent participation to spread it out a little. I was walking through Good Life with Calista after school today and she asked me to buy the "gluton free organic" cereal because she said she had it in her class and it was "her favorite". So I ended up buying two boxes, some apples and a bag of baby carrots. I'll see if Robin is OK with me bringing snacks tomorrow, Friday. I am willing to print a calender so parents can sign up and suggestions on snacks. Fruits and Veggies are probably the best and least likely for the children to be alergic to.
What do you think? If this sounds good, I'll print a sign up calender for all three kinders with the suggestion that the snack be fruits and vegetables.
Michelle Long
I love the idea of the sign-up sheets, Michelle. I am definitely willing to sign up. Hopefully we can get a good response.
Joy
I brought red/green apples, bananas and carrots and the kids were so happy and gobbled it all up. Nobody seemed disappointed that it was healthy snacks. Robin gave me the go ahead to put up a calender and I asked her to write an explanation in Spanish. I emphasized that in no way did I want anyone to feel obligated or feel bad for not participating for obvious reasons. So Monday I'll bring in the October calender. I'll sign up for Fridays and see what the response is in October.
michelle
Hi there,
I am a concerned neighbor who has been picking up trash along Banks Street and would actually love to help with gardening around the school. I'll bet a number of neighbors would be happy to help as well. Please let me know if you plan any gardening events or need equipment and I'd be happy to help. I have contact info for a few neighbors so could spread the word as well! Also, Parents, anything you can do to help teach children not to litter would be so helpful -- there are always wrappers and juiceboxes, etc that below into the bushes, streets, and ultimately my backyard and it is very frustrating! I didn't realize how bad it was - I was able to keep it tame myself during the summer - but when school started again I realized it was definitely the increased traffic from students, parents, and teachers that contributed to all the trash! Thanks so much.
Michele Cardinal
411 Banks St.
michele.cardinal@gmail.com
415-215-4176
Post a Comment